Broad City image via Giphy.com
2023 is here, with no new, major tax laws, not even any passed in the final days of December 2022, anywhere in sight!
Does that mean we won't see tax form changes? No. Taxes and the forms we use to report them or claim tax breaks are always tweaked to reflect the needs of the current filing season.
To try to keep track of these changes, the ol' blog is continuing an annual special page dedicated to tax forms. This feature is now in its fourth year, evolving (like Internal Revenue Service paperwork) from Tax Form Tuesday in 2020 to Tax Forms Fiesta! in 2021 to Talking Tax Forms in 2022.
For 2023, I've gone back to basics. On this iteration, known simply as Tax Forms 2023 (and I suspect this format will be the ongoing template), you'll find posts that mention, and sometimes focus on, IRS forms you might run across while filing.
Some are documents you have to complete. Others are the statements (or forms) that you'll get to help you file your return.
While I'm filling out this new Tax Forms 2023 page, which still has the GIF of Broad City star Ilana Glazer because she's brilliant and it works, you can always peruse the forms that were featured in the aforementioned 2020's Tuesdays, 2021's Fiesta!, and 2022's Talking Tax Forms.
- 2 NY counties get winter storm disaster tax relief (Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return | posted Jan. 6, 2023)
- Time to track your 2023 tax deductible business miles (Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship) [Part IV] | posted Jan. 8, 2023)
- Tax documents you need to file your 2022 return (Many and varied | posted Jan. 11, 2023)
- 1099-K reporting delay yays and nays (Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions | posted Jan. 14, 2023)
- Don't miss out on EITC, but note the 2022 tax return changes (Form 1040 Schedule EIC | posted Jan. 29, 2023)
- When tax Groundhog Day - amending an earlier 1040 - is a smart move (Form 1040-X | posted Feb. 2, 2023)
- Reporting Super Bowl and other gambling winnings on IRS Schedule 1 (Form 1040 Schedule 1, Part 2 | posted Feb. 13, 2023)
- Don't miss these 24 tax deductions that don't require itemizing (Form 1040 Schedule 1, Part 2 | posted Feb. 15, 2023)
- How to get your tax withholding just right (Form W-4 | posted Feb. 17, 2023)
- Got more than wage income? Here's how to report it. (Form 1040 Schedule 1, Part 1 | posted Feb. 21, 2023)
- 6 tips on how to file your taxes when you're missing tax statements (Form 4852 | posted March 2, 2023)
- Decoding your W-2 (Form W-2; updated March 3, 2023)
- Child care tax credit returns to lower pre-COVID levels, but still worth a look (Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses| posted March 5, 2023)
- Save some tax green by going greener at home (Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits | March 16, 2023)
- Form 4868, the tax procrastinator's best friend (From 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return | March 19, 2023)
- April 1 is RMD deadline for some. No fooling. (Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts | March 20, 2023)
- Letting the IRS figure your taxes (not possible if you must file Forms 2555, Foreign Earned Income; Form 4137, Social Security and Medicare Tax on Unreported Tip Income; Form 4970, Tax on Accumulation Distribution of Trusts; Form 4972, Tax on Lump-Sum Distributions; Form 6198, At-Risk Limitations; Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax—Individuals; Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs; Form 8615 Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income; Form 8814, Parents' Election to Report Child's Interest and Dividends; Form 8839, Qualified Adoption Expenses; Form 8853, Archer MSAs and Long-Term Care Insurance Contracts; Form 8889, Health Savings Accounts (HSAs); or Form 8919, Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages | posted March 26, 2023)
- RMD age increase and wrong notices create tax confusion for some retirement account owners (RMD Uniform Lifetime Table, Table III-Appendix B in IRS Publication 590-B | posted March 27, 2023)
- 6 family-friendly tax credits (Form 1040 Schedule 3; Schedule 8812, Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents; Form 8839, Qualified Adoption Expenses; Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses; Schedule EIC, Earned Income Tax Credit | posted March 29, 2023)
- Some state refund recipients should amend their federal tax returns (Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return | posted April 11, 2023)
- Estimated taxes: Why, when, and how to pay them (Voucher 1040-ES | posted April 13, 2023)
- In claiming potential $7,500 EV tax credit, note delivery date & other rules (Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit | posted April 21, 2023)
- Let the IRS know when you move (Form 8822, Change of Address | posted April 26, 2023)
- IRS to resume sending suspended tax notices (IRS Notice CP14, Balance Due | posted May 9, 2023)
- Missing appraisals reduce donor's charitable tax deduction (Form 8283 Noncash Charitable Contributions | posted May 14, 2023)
And if you want more info on other forms not featured here, check out the ol' blog's Forms category. It will show Tax Form Fiesta! entries, as well as other tax documents that I've posted about over the years, with the newest post first. Just keep scrolling.