Broad City image via Giphy.com
It's finally 2022! Here's hoping that unfulfilled wish from 2021 is finally granted this year. You know the one, that we'll finally be done with COVID-19.
Until that happens, though, we've got to muddle through, both life and taxes.
And one thing is always the same when it comes to taxes. There are always forms, and they are always being tweaked.
OK, that's two things about forms. And that second thing, the changes, is why I'm continuing the ol' blog's special page on tax forms. This feature is now in its third year, evolving (like Internal Revenue Service paperwork) from Tax Form Tuesday in 2020 to Tax Forms Fiesta! in 2021.
On this 2022 iteration, you'll find posts that mention, and sometimes focus on, IRS forms you might run across while filing.
Some are documents you have to complete. Others are the statements (or forms) that you'll get to help you file your return.
- Keep an eye out for IRS letters on COVID relief money, advance Child Tax Credit payments (Form 1040 and Schedule 8812; posted Jan. 4, 2022)
- Tax statements you need to file your 2021 return (W-2, W-G, 1095 series, 1098 series, 1099 series, Forms 5498 and 5498-ESA, Letter 6419, Letter 6475, and Schedule K-1; posted Jan. 11, 2022)
- Final 2021 estimated tax payment due Jan. 18 (Form 1040-ES; posted Jan. 14, 2022)
- Free File 2022 is open; 8 companies offer no-cost tax software (Form 1040, state returns, and tax software; posted Jan. 15, 2022)
- Standard deduction amounts for 2021 tax returns (Forms 1040 and 1040-SR; posted Jan. 23, 2022)
- Recovery Rebate Credit on 2021 tax return could help get missed COVID stimulus money (Form 1040; posted Jan. 26, 2022)
- IRS halts issuance of automated 'missing tax return' notices (IRS Notice CP-80; posted Jan. 27, 2022)
- A look at EITC changes on this year's EITC Awareness Day (Schedule EIC; posted Jan. 28, 2022)
- Personal cash app transfers are NOT part of new IRS reporting rule (Form 1099-K; posted Jan. 30, 2022)
- Made a tax return mistake? Fix it by X-filing an amended return (Form 1040-X; posted Feb. 2, 2022)
- Tracking down 2020 — yes, two-year-old — missing EIPs (Form 3911; posted Feb. 9, 2022)
- IRS suspends issuance of 14 more taxpayer notices (IRS Notices; posted Feb. 11, 2022)
- Reporting gambling winnings, other income on Schedule 1 (Form 1040 Schedule 1; posted Feb. 12, 2022)
- IRS sending 1099-INTs to taxpayers who got interest added to tax refunds (Form 1099-INT; posted Feb. 14, 2022)
- What to do if you're still missing your W-2 (Form 4852; posted Feb. 23, 2022)
- No itemizing needed to claim these 25 tax deductions (Form 1040, Schedule 1; posted March 14, 2022)
- Owe the IRS? Got a big refund? Adjust your withholding (Form W-4; posted March 17, 2022)
- 7 ways to pay your tax bill (Form 1040-V; posted March 22, 2022)
- 11 medical costs that could make itemizing the best tax Rx (Form 1040, Schedule A; posted March 29, 2022)
- Simplified home office tax deduction pays off for some small businesses (Form 8829 and Schedule C; posted March 30, 2022)
- Options if you can't pay your tax bill in full (Form 9465 and Forms 433-A, 433-B and 433-F; posted April 7, 2022)
- April 18 also is deadline to file FBAR foreign assets report (FinCEN Form 114; posted April 8, 2022)
- Taxpayers abroad get until June 15 to file tax returns (Form 4868 and Foreign Earned Income Exclusion; posted April 10, 2022)
- Maximizing your itemized tax deductions (Form 1040, Schedule A; posted April 12, 2022)
- A quick estimated tax Q&A in advance of the April 18 deadline (Form 1040-ES; posted April 13, 2022)
- Need more time to file your 1040? Submit Form 4868 (Form 4868; posted April 14, 2022)
- IRS won't accept checks of $100 million or more (Form 4868 redux; posted April 17, 2022)
- IRS refund late? At least you'll get some interest, which so far has totaled $3.3 billion (1099-INT; posted May 14, 2022)
- $163 billion in unemployment fraud run up during pandemic (1099-G; posted May 15, 2022)
- NM wildfire victims get Tax Day, other filing/payment deadlines, pushed to Aug. 31 (Form 1040-X; Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return; Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return; posted May 17, 2022)
- 5 tax considerations for young workers and their parents (Form 1040 Schedule C; Schedule SE; W-4; posted June 8, 2022)
- Taxpayer Advocate urges more tax e-filing options; IRS provides additional electronic 1040-X forms (Form 1040-X redux; Form 1040-NR; posted June 23, 2022)
- IRS approves some fake charities. What's a donor to do now? (Form 1023; Form 1023-EZ; posted July 6, 2022)
- OK & MT severe weather victims get IRS tax relief, new filing deadlines (Form 1040-X redux; Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return redux; Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return redux; posted July 8, 2022)
- Kentucky flood victims get new Nov. 15 tax deadline (Form 1040-X redux; Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return redux; Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return redux; posted Aug. 4, 2022)
- Missouri flood victims get new Nov. 15 tax deadline (Form 1040-X redux; Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return redux; Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return redux; posted Aug. 10, 2022)
- Educators' expenses tax deduction rises (finally!) to $300 (Form 1040, Schedule 1; posted Aug. 15, 2022)
- Welcome federal student debt relief could create some state tax issues (Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt; posted Aug. 27, 2022)
- Teachers deserve more than the current paltry tax deduction for classroom costs (Form 1040, Schedule 1; posted Sept. 10, 2022)
- Some Mississippi taxpayers get more time to file in wake of Jackson's water crisis (Form 1040-X redux; Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return redux; Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return redux; posted Sept. 13, 2022)
- Feb. 15, 2023, new tax deadline for hurricane-hit Puerto Rico (Form 1040-X redux; Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return redux; Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return redux; posted Sept. 20, 2022)
- Texas BBQ joint employees finally get improperly distributed taxable tips (Form 4070A, Employee's Daily Record of Tips; Form 4137, Social Security and Medicare Tax on Unreported Tip Income; posted Sept. 21, 2022)
And if you want more info on other forms not featured here, check out the ol' blog's Forms category. It will show Tax Form Fiesta! entries, as well as other tax documents that I've posted about over the years, with the newest post first. Just keep scrolling.