No place in the world is disaster proof. Mother Nature unleashes her horrors globally and year round via hurricanes, tornadoes, wild fires, floods, blizzards and more.
This special Natural General Storm Warnings Page, part of the overall Storm Warnings collection of Don't Mess With Taxes blog posts about disasters and the associated tax implications, offers some general posts on weather alerts and potential trouble when it looks like Mother Nature is about to turn into Mommy Dearest.
So, since time is of the essence when a bad wind or rain or overflowing river or winter blizzard or whatever is approaching, here are some general storm warning stories.
Thanks to the Internet, we not only get better, earlier warnings of dangerous storms, we get incredible — in both the good and horrific definitions of that word -- photographs and videos of the destructive side of Mother Nature. Here are some of those instances, as well as general storm-related stories.
- Hurricane Ida is on her way. Get ready NOW! (Aug. 28, 2021)
- Fake tax promises, other phony ploys — including disaster-related cons — are part of the 2021 IRS Dirty Dozen (June 30, 2021)
- State disaster declarations could trigger quicker IRS tax relief under House bill (June 11, 2021)
- A dozen disaster scam warnings (Sept. 21, 2020)
- File major disaster claims on Form 4684 (March 3, 2020)
- Deadly weekend storms disrupt Tax Day 2019 (April 15, 2019)
- Hurricane season 2018 is over, but disasters don't follow calendars so be ready year-round (Dec. 1, 2018)
- Disaster victims could get tax relief as part of new tax bill; IRS already offering some easier retirement plan access (Nov. 29, 2018)
- Rain tax or fee? Name matters mainly in political debates (Oct. 29, 2018)
- Tax cuts, not disaster spending, produced record deficit (Oct. 20, 2018)
- Tax help or not, hurricane season 2018 is officially here (June 1, 2018)
- Hurricane Jose is back; Eastern Seaboard could be affected (Sept. 15, 2017)
- Dangerous Hurricane Harvey threatens Texas coast (Aug. 24, 2017)
- Tropical storm season 2017 heats up with two June storms in Gulf region (June 19, 2017)
- FEMA relief for victims of Golden State's January storms; Expect similar help for California's latest deadly weather (Feb. 18, 2017)
- Mother Nature angry as summer 2016 winds down (Aug. 25, 2016)
- California victims of massive methane gas leak won't owe federal tax on some recovery payments (July 24, 2016)
- Oklahoma again a bulls-eye for deadly May tornadoes (May 10, 2016)
- IRS tells flooded Houston taxpayers not to worry about filing their tax returns late (April 19, 2016)
- Tornadoes, other wild November weather: Be ready! (Nov. 17, 2015)
- Be ready for Mother Nature's outbursts (Halloween 2015 Central Texas flooding, etc.) (Oct. 30, 2015)
- Hurricane Joaquin intensifies, threatens East Coast...maybe (Oct. 1, 2015)
- Victims of early summer's severe storms get tax help (July 17, 2015)
- Houston, we could have more flood problems (June 15, 2015)
- Flooding and tornadoes as we head toward hurricane season (May 24, 2015)
- Tornadoes, tropical storm: Pick your spring weather poison and get ready now (May 7, 2015)
- Heading into the tropical storm...maybe (Aug. 23, 2014)
- Simultaneous Atlantic, Pacific hurricanes underscore the need for physical and financial storm preparation (Aug. 5, 2014)
- Preparation is key as severe weather seasons overlap (July 7, 2014)
- Arthur kicks off 2014 hurricane season, ruins July 4 celebrations (July 3, 2014)
- Tornadoes. Again. Be prepared, physically and on tax front (June 17, 2014)
- Moore, Oklahoma, still recovering from horrific 2013 tornado; other areas receive tax relief for 2014's severe storms (May 20, 2014)
Looking for more or other disaster info? Check out the separate Storm Warning pages on preparing for a disaster, steps to make your recovery smoother and quicker, how to donate to groups that help disaster survivors and additional disaster resources.