They say you can't go home again, but you can stay in the Home Alone house. Or at least four lucky movie fans will be there on Dec. 12, 2021.
Tomorrow, Kevin McCallister's Winnetka, Illinois, residence turned criminal booby trap is welcoming the visitors for a one-night stay.
The event in the house where the now-holiday-classic was filmed is not a contest, notes Airbnb. Rather, the reason for the bargain rate is that the overnight lodging is a charitable promotion that just happens to roughly coincide with the Home Alone reboot.
Since it's not a contest, the guests for this special night in the Lincoln Avenue home must pay. The price? A whopping $25, plus taxes and fees.
Big house, big tax bills: The property owners, however, might want to consider turning the former movie set house into a regular holiday rental at more competitive rates. It could help them cover the residence's five-figure property tax bill, which went up again this year.
Regular readers might remember last December I posted about the real estate taxes on the house that was the real-life set for the 1990 movie's antics between Kevin, played by Macaulay Culkin, and hapless burglars Harry Lime, played by Joe Pesci, and Marv Murchins, portrayed by Daniel Stern.
In 2020, the tax bill was $30,201. For 2021, the taxes total $31,380. Since 2001, that's a 65 percent jump in the Home Alone house's property taxes, according to the Illinois Policy Institute.
And like last year, the home taxes earn By the Numbers honors. This year, though, instead of the street address, the notable weekend number is the latest tax bill of $31,380.
Enjoying Home Alone at your home: Since most of the ol' blog's readers won't be staying at the original Home Alone house, you can at leave enjoy it and its sequels from the comfort of your own abode this holiday season.
There are six films in the Home Alone cinematic collection:
- Home Alone, with the numeral 1 appended once the sequels hit, back in 1990;
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York in 1992;
- Home Alone 3 in 1997 with a new cast, a move that continued with the next three;
- Home Alone 4: Taking Back the House, a made-for-traditional-TV movie in 2002;
- Home Alone: The Holiday Heist in 2012, another television film; and
- Home Sweet Home Alone, the aforementioned 2021 reboot by Disney for its streaming Disney+ channel.
The latest version, by the way, was filmed in Canada. That's the exterior below, courtesy of the now-Disney-owned 20th Century Studios.
And you can get a glimpse of the residence's interior in the official trailer below.
As for watching any of the free-range kids' adventure flicks, Decider.com has details on where and how you can watch all six Home Alone movies.
You also might find these items of interest:
- Making sure your property tax bill is correct
- Where your state ranks when it comes to property taxes
- Tax difference between home repairs & home improvements
- Real estate taxes are a big part of state funding, but vary widely nationwide