When not to pay down your mortgage
Could a 'big spender' surtax pay off?

New York tax tidbit: firefighters' credit

New York flag New York City's firefighters might have Rescue Me, but volunteer firemen and women throughout the Empire State have a tax credit they can claim on their income tax returns.

Actually, the tax break is for emergency medical technicians, too.

The Volunteer Firefighters' and Ambulance Workers' credit provides $200 to any New York resident who was an active volunteer firefighter or volunteer ambulance worker for the entire 2009 tax year.

While it's not a huge credit, it is refundable. That means you may get money back if the credit exceeds your state tax liability.

To claim this credit you must complete Form IT-245 and attach it to your state income tax return.

Just be sure to coordinate the credit with other tax breaks. You can't claim this tax break ifif you receive an exemption on your real estate taxes based on your volunteer service.

More on this credit and two dozen other state and Big Apple tax credits can be found in Publication 99-IND.

Tax trip around the United States: This post is part of our series highlighting tax information from the 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. You can read other state tax blurbs at our Complete menu of tasty state tax tidbits.

The State Tax Departments page provides links to official state and District of Columbia revenue Web sites so that you can find out more about your home's tax laws and filing requirements.

As we work through the 2010 tax season, a different state will be featured each day as noted in Don't forget your state taxes! Check back to see what tax tidbit we share about your home.

Related posts:

Want to tell your friends about this blog post? Click the Tweet This or Digg This buttons below or use the Share This icon to spread the word via e-mail, Facebook and other popular applications. Thanks!


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.