Greenbelt means good birding
Investigating a new tax-themed TV show

Free file for phone refunds

Do you know someone who doesn't have to file a tax return? Yes, it does happen. These folks usually are lower income. Sometimes they are older and their income, perhaps primarily Social Security benefits, is not taxed.

Whatever the reason for escaping 1040 duty, these individuals still might be eligible for the telephone tax refund. They can get the standard refund amount, which ranges from $30 to $60 depending on the number of exemptions they claim, by simply sending in Form 1040EZ-T.

This half-page document requires only the individual's name (or names for joint filers), Social Security number (or numbers for joint filers), address, refund amount and, if direct deposit is desired, account information.

Free_file_logo_2_1 The IRS is making a concerted effort to let Form 1040EZ-T filers that they might be able to claim this money using the Free File Alliance. The private-government consortium this year is allowing taxpayers with adjusted gross income of $52,000 or less to use the program. According to the IRS, three Free File companies are providing access to Form 1040EZ-T.

If you know someone -- friend, neighbor, relative -- who doesn't have to file a 1040 but who is due the federal phone tax refund, remind them that they should claim it. If you've got a few minutes to help them do so online, great.

Or you can give them these numbers: 1-800-829-1040 or 1-888-227-7669.

The first one, the one ending in 1040, is the IRS hotline. The other will connect them with the AARP. At each they can get information on the nearest neighborhood tax assistance site, where trained volunteers can help them fill out their phone refund forms.


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.